Senior Applications Engineer
Galland Henning Nopak (GHN) has been a pioneer in manufacturing since 1887. The company is a privately owned fourth generation family business and is the world’s most experienced manufacturer of high-density balers and hydraulic and pneumatic valves and cylinders. The company is a member of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) and a founding member of the National Fluid Power Association (NFPA). Leveraging over a century of proven engineering expertise, Galland Henning Nopak offers robust, custom-engineered solutions, delivered with exceptional customer service from America’s Midwest.
We are first in manufacturing, with products engineered to last.
We’re hiring a Category Engineering Manager to redevelop and manage the engineering function for our high density metal scrap baler program. Now is a great time to join GHN as we embark on our next stage of growth as we continue to take market share in our core customer segments. This position is responsible for developing new product concepts, working with manufacturing on capabilities and cost reduction opportunities, and working with sales and marketing on a go to market strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops concepts for product improvement
- Works with manufacturing team and outside vendors on cost out and vertical integration opportunities
- Assists with setting up and managing outside maintenance, parts and service providers in a worldwide network
- Attends customer visits and trade shows to understand customer needs and opportunities
- Collaborate with product engineers as they work in Solidworks to draft and update
- Works with manufacturing staff to create and maintain manufacturing standard operating procedures
- Responsible for developing product quality testing program for finished products
- Works with sales and marketing teams to articulate customer value proposition
- Works with customers and sales team on costing and quoting process for custom orders
- Ability to troubleshoot and create repair solutions with external service providers in person or remotely via video conference
- Supports aftermarket part quotes and sales
- Works with system suppliers (HPU primarily) to ensure timely delivery and compliance with customer specifications
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Minimum 3 years experience in product development for machinery
- Post-secondary education in any number of engineering disciplines – most notably mechanical, electrical and/or hydraulics
- Demonstrated experience working in engineering for large machinery including demonstrated understanding of power units, control units, electrical systems and hydraulics
- Demonstrated experience partnering with sales and marketing to develop product differentiation and go to market strategy
- Computer use (ERP, Microsoft Office Suite) competency
- Self-motivated and driven
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with customers, employees and management; candid but diplomatic and tactful
- Ability to travel overnight 20-40% initially, reducing to 10-20% after training and service network setup complete
- MBA or other higher education demonstrating general business knowledge and leadership skills
- Experience redeveloping existing product category
- Experience working in Solidworks for product drawings
- Experience assisting with quoting and costing for custom customer orders
- Multilingual, with particular interest in Spanish, Portuguese or Mandarin
- Demonstrated experience working with manufacturing team on developing SOPs
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
The employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift up to 40 pounds while moving product or small packages. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Protective Clothing Required: Safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toe shoes