The Mechanical Engineer supports product engineering department goals through developing product designs and, provide guidance to designers and drafters in preparing engineering general assembly drawings, manufacturing detail drawings and documentation. Responsible for interacting with current and potential customers to develop new product designs and to assist in preparing customer price quotes. Provides manufacturing and customer support.
- Work with Chief Engineer, other Mechanical Engineers, drafters, and Manufacturing Engineer, to develop conceptual designs for hydraulic & pneumatic cylinders, pneumatic valves, balers, and baler components, and subsequently generate necessary documents (manufacturing drawings, Bills of material, operation manuals, etc.).
- Works with the customers and the Chief Engineer in the receipt of custom product design requests, provide necessary design details to help with quoting, and identification of the most efficient engineering design, development and manufacturing processes.
- Develops and analyzes product designs on a timely basis and provides guidance to designers or drafters in preparing engineering general assembly drawings and manufacturing detail drawings and documentation to ensure the customer needs and product engineering requirements are met.
- Develops product designs from specifications provided by the Chief Engineer, Sales department personnel and/or the customer.
- Works closely with the Chief Engineer and others in the GHN management team in developing an efficient design, manufacturing process, testing and scheduling of product and component custom orders to ensure timely production and shipment of the product to the customer.
- Responsible for generating and releasing the Bills of Material to other departments.
- Discuss the manufacturing process for product and component development with the engineering team members to ensure clear direction and understanding of the desired result and to facilitate the quoting process. Perform initial and ongoing design reviews.
- Based on direction provided by the Chief Engineer and the Vice President of Sales and Marketing, periodically visit customers to assist in the product design process and to provide support to the GHN’s sales and marketing efforts.
- Work closely with the Purchasing Department in identifying the right materials at the best possible price – to meet customer requirements & buy appropriate materials.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Position may be required to periodically flex to off shifts and provide weekend coverage due to production demands
Description of other duties that may be assigned:
Provide design and engineering support and backup for other Engineers and designers. Review drawings from other team members for accuracy.
Remain current on fluid power industry trends, new product design ideas, and activities of the competitors.
Actively seek professional development activities to enhance product design skills.
Perform occasional general shop duties including, but not limited to, assembling the products, measuring dimensions, using gauges. Must help with assembly, testing and on-site commissioning of balers.
Must adhere to safety standards
Additionally, visit the field sites where GHN products are used and provide support as required by the organization. This may require traveling with service personnel to assist with troubleshooting.
Occasionally, must be able to accompany the sales team members to provide technical support when visiting a customer’s facility. Traveling overseas may be required from time to time.
Perform light housekeeping duties (5S) duties as prescribed by management, and all other tasks as required by management.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Must have the ability of use scientific and mathematical principles to develop technical solutions for cylinders, valves and balers.Must be able to carry out written, verbal and diagrammatic instructions; apply logical/scientific thinking; perform basic and advanced arithmetic and engineering calculations; use a variety of engineering tools and techniques.
- Knowledge/Familiarity of CAD software packages such as Solid Works and Auto Cad
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions required in manufacturing setting.
- Effective computer skills, including MS Office.
- General understanding of structural Welding principals/concepts
- Requires the ability to use a personal computer and word processing, spreadsheet, and production software.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with employees and management.
- Rudimentary understanding of conventional machining practices and machine shop theory.
- Investigative and analytical abilities.
- Mechanical Assembly exposure a plus
- Accountable for achieving document release goals and benchmarks.
- Leadership and decision-making abilities.
- Should have a demonstrated ability to function successfully in a fast-paced, changing work environment
- Familiarity with ISO or other Quality Standards.